Zewail City organizes Pollution and Human Health Awareness Day
Zewail City of Science and Technology is organizing a seminar titled Pollution and Human Health Awareness Day as part of its role in Egyptian community service and in maintaining the health of its individuals.
A group of selected specialists and scientists in various fields related to the health-related damages caused by different kinds pollutants will attend the seminar.
At the end of the seminar, applicable recommendations will be set to protect the health of the Egyptian public, to protect the surrounding environment and to provide a healthy environment for healthy individuals who can contribute to the advancement of the nation and keep up with developed countries worldwide.
Industrial progress has a significant impact on natural resources, which consequently affects human health and quality of life. Huge advances have been achieved in all aspects of our lives since the industrial revolution, resulting in the use of new technologies and major breakthroughs which have benefited human welfare.
However, these technologies are also associated with different sources of pollution affecting the air, water and food, which are indispensable for human life in order to continue.
The smoke from car exhausts and factory chimneys and power plants are simple examples of pollution. Impurities and heavy metals such as lead fumes from these and other industrial sources have led to air pollution and result in acid rain. We can also take the contamination of water and food waste and various different risks as another example. Such contamination carries biological, chemical or physical hazards with multiple immediate effects on humans, as well as causing serious illness to various body organs as a result of accumulated effects in the long run.
Throwing biological, solid, industrial waste as well as highly toxic chemicals into waterways, is negatively affecting our world today. Besides the pesticides used in agricultural pest control, which accumulates in the tissues of plants and then in more concentrated form in animal products such as milk and meat, causing a lot of damage to those who consume these products. Other sources of food contamination include pathogenic micro-organisms and preservatives, which cause negative effects on health in the short and long term.
- Develop modern technologies for sewage treatment.
- Establish a food health and safety organization.
- Organize awareness-raising campaigns for Egyptians about pollution, its sources,
- problems caused by it and ways to limit it.
- Toughen and activate laws to prevent disposal of sewage and industrial and agricultural remnants in the Nile.
- Industrialist participation should be encouraged to participate in formulation and implementation of laws and in the search for appropriate solutions to pollution.
- Use Nanotechnology in the production of effective pesticides to protect plants without causing pollution.
- Activate the role of the Food Control Authority to prevent the spread of diseases caused by food contamination.
- Detect contaminants rapidly.
- Reduce the use of plastics harmful to human health.
- Prevent the import of games made of plastics that are harmful to human health.
- Apply optimal standards to reduce air pollution from both automotive and factory emissions.
- Apply modern scientific advances and technologies as they are developed around the world which reduce harmful effects on the environment and reduce pollution and its effect on the human health.