OPTICA selects Professor Obayya as a Jury member for its Award and Honors Committees
OPTICA (formerly known as Optical Society of America) selected Professor Salah Obayya, Director and Founder of the Center for Photonics and Smart Materials and the former Vice-Chair for Academic Affairs at Zewail City, as the first African and Arab jury member to join their Award and Honors Committees.
Optica; Advancing Optics and Photonics Worldwide, is a society dedicated to promoting the generation, application, archiving and dissemination of knowledge in the field. Optica awards and medals are awarded to a very selective group of world-class distinguished professors who have achieved world class technical, industrial, and entrepreneurial contributions to the field of photonics.
About Professor Obayya
Professor Salah is currently Chair Professor and Founding Director of Center for Photonics and Smart Materials (CPSM) at Zewail City of Science, Technology and Innovation and former Vice- Chair for Academic Affairs and Director-General of Research Institutes, prior to which he held several academic positions in several universities in the UK.
Obayya has established an outstanding international reputation in the area of green nanophotonics with focus on the intelligent computational modeling of modern nano-photonic devices enabling technologies to generate, distribute and use sustainable energy in order to preserve the environment. Obayya's continued scientific contributions have greatly served the international photonic community where he has published about 400 research publications and cited more than 4000 times mostly in OSA, IEEE, and IET/IEE, and authored 3 books in the photonics field including “Computational Photonics” book, that was published by Wiley, New York 2010.
In recognition of his remarkable research achievements, Obayya was awarded several national and international scientific awards and recognitions:
- Fellow of International Society for Optical Engineering (SPIE), USA, 2022.
- The Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society (ACES) award 2021
- The African Union Kwame Nkrumah Continental Award for Scientific Excellence in 2020 - 2021
- Fellow of the American Physical Society (APS), USA, 2021.
- IEEE Fellow of IEEE Photonics Society, 2021.
- Elected as the first Arab and African Fellow of the Optical Society of America (OSA), 2019.
- Medal of Science and Arts of the first class from President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi, Egypt, 2019.
- Honorary Chair Professor of Photonics, George Green, University of Nottingham, UK, 2019.
- Doctor of Science (DSc) degree in Photonics from the City University of London in 2016.
- UNESCO Chair, Paris, 2019.
- State Appreciation Award, Egypt, 2019.
- Elected as Senior Associate by Board of Directors, International Center for Theoretical Physics (ICTP), Italy, 2017.
- Khalifa Award for Distinguished Arab Professor in Scientific Research in 2017.
- Arab Thought Foundation Award in Scientific Creativity, Lebanon, 2015.
- Egyptian Academy of Scientific Research and Technology (ASRT) Award in Engineering Sciences Creativity, 2014.
- Abdul Hameed Shoman Foundation (Jordan) Award for Arab Scientists in Engineering Sciences, 2014.
- State Award of Excellence for Engineering Sciences, Egypt, 2013.
- Incentive State Award for Engineering Sciences, Egypt, 2005, and many others.